Home Community Getting Started Getting hardware details

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Karthikeyan Karthikeyan 5 months ago.

• Author

I work on software that needs to know the processor and cache details. On x86 systems it uses the CPUID instruction to know about the processor family/model (Skylake, Icelake etc) and cache details (total size, line size, associativity etc). I am trying to do the same on ARM systems. I am using RedHat Linux. I noticed that the dmidecode command has an entry called ID.

# dmidecode -t processor | grep -A2 Family:
    Family: ARMv8
    Manufacturer: Ampere(TM)
    ID: 00 00 00 00 02 00 3F 50
    #

dmidecode reads the SMBIOS files, The SMBIOS spec says that the value of ID is taken from the MIDR_EL1 register of ARM. So, can the value of ID be used to distinguish between different ARM processors e.g eMAG1 and eMAg2?

dmidecode also gives cache details (with “-t cache”) but only total size and associativity. Cache line size is not given. Is there an instruction or register that can be used to get all the details?

The ARMv8 spec mentions a register called CTR_EL0. It has the following field

DminLine, bits [19:16]
    Log2 of the number of words in the smallest cache line of all the data caches and unified caches that
    are controlled by the PE.

This seems to only give the smallest possible line size. I am interested in the actual line size (and other details) of the caches.

Mauri Whalen
    Participant

eMAG FAQ

1. What is Ampere eMAG core ID and how do I found out?

For MIDR definition, see ARMv8.x specification. eMAG 1st generation has
    the MIDR_EL1 as 0x503F000Y where Y is the chip revision. The Implementer
    for eMAG 1st generation is 0x50. (Please note that future generation chip
    will have the Implementer as 0xC0.) The Variant is 0x3F. Architecture is 0xF.
    PartNum is 0. The Revision depends on the chip revision.

For example:

0x503F0001 represents eMAG rev Ax
    0x503F0002 represents eMAG rev B0

The core ID can be determined by reading the MIDR_EL1 or via the SMBIOS table
    using the application program dmidecode. Because the way firmware works, the endianness
    may be reversed. The SMBIOS shows the below information:

ID: 50 3F 00 02 00 00 00 00

2. How to determine the eMAG core cache size?

The eMAG cache size of L1, L2, L3 or system level cache can only be determined
    from the SMBIOS table via dmidecode.

Mauri Whalen
    Ampere Computing

Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.